A piece of Yiddish magic against grocery store inflation

A magical auction for cheaper groceries

Prices are absolutely out of control at the grocery store. Why are Doritos (DORITOS!!!) close to $7??? 

Even if we can all live without Doritos (though what kind of life would that really be?) we do all need to eat real food to live. But who can afford the prices I'm seeing at my local supermarket, like a pound of chicken thighs for $20. It's nuts. (No, actually, I can't afford nuts, either. Let's say it's bananas.)

I happened to be reading some Yiddish folklore sources on the holidays and I came across this sgule (magic charm or remedy) against inflation. This practice was found during the holiday of Simkhes Toyre. It was performed at certain Hasidic courts while the rebbe held his tish (holiday meal with his followers). Now, you may not be eating a meal at the rebbe's tish any time soon, but perhaps you can adapt it to your own holiday table. If you do, lemme know how it goes!



ליציטאציעס Auctions

“Litsitatsiyes” – in some Hasidic courts, while the rebbe is holding his “tish,” they conduct an auction of food products. But this is the opposite of other auctions. At a wink from the rebbe, a wealthy man stands up and announces: “a bushel of potatoes for sale!” Another cries out- “I bid 10 rubles.” “And I bid 9 rubles” - a second yells out; in the same way a third makes his bid, and a fourth bids even lower prices, until the rebbe agrees to sell. They go on to auction off vegetables, fruit, and wheat. This custom, they believe, is a sgule [charm or remedy] against inflation [yakres].


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New leyenkrayz class - "The River Demands a Sacrifice"

Two New Classes in April: Peretz Short Stories and Leyenkrayz

Elijah in Jewish Folk Culture: New Class March 11 & 18